Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Trithemius -- week 5 (?)

There were two really interesting ideas that I thought about while reading Trithemius’s article. First, the idea of a scribe’s works being holy work, which seemed like a decidedly old idea. Sure, it is still considered “holy” to share religious ideas in the modern world, but I doubt that many people think it matters how the religious ideas are spread. In the case of Christianity, for example, religion and popular culture have become entwined. There are Christian websites, and Christian comic books, and Christian blogs. All of these are newer forms of technology that are used to convert the masses, who can’t be bothered by reading huge books like the Bible.
Certainly, I am overstepping a little bit by saying this. Although my personal experience is limited, I am sure that most religious groups do not consider these other forms of learning about religion in any way comparable to reading the actual Bible. Most Christians would probably be expected to read the actual Bible later, as they mature in their faith. Comic books and websites are more secular ways of getting people interested in religion, a sort of conversion technique. Yet I also don’t think there are many people today who are going to care if a Bible is hand written, or printed, or downloaded. We may have our individual preferences for aesthetic or practical purposes, but the really important part is understanding the Bible for what it is…not how it is made.

At the same time, some of the ideas in the article seemed rather current to me. Like many bibliophiles, I hate the idea of books disappearing in lieu of newer forms of technology. I don’t want to have to read an entire novel online. Sure, maybe a twenty page article, but not a three hundred page book. There is something so much more organic about holding a book in one’s hand, than having to stare at a glowing computer screen. You can smell a book, and touch the paper, and be impressed or annoyed by the cover art. What is more fun than perusing a book store, or a library, and stumbling across a book you never would have heard of, and discovering you like it? How exactly do you have a comparable experience on a kindle or google books?
Though it seems weird to me that there was a time when people would have said printed books were worthless in comparison to a hand written book, I think that my feelings about books as opposed to eBooks are very similar. I can understand some of Trithemius’s points. For example, the act of copying a book by hand would help that individual to really understand that book, in a way that just reading it may not. And as I wrote before, I can understand how someone might be more attracted to the aesthetic qualities of a hand copied book. Yet at the same time, the printing press helped to spread education, literacy, and ideas in a way that handwritten books never could have. For the first time, books were not priced exorbitantly. As we read in Chartier’s article, man’s whole view of himself in the world changed. Certainly, the merits of the printed book outweigh whatever drawbacks it had. So who knows, maybe someday I will see how much eBooks change the world and realize how much better they are, at least practically speaking, than regular books…

….but I doubt it.

4 comments:

  1. It may be true in Christianity that things such as christian comic books appeal to the public to convert, but I feel such an argument takes away from the faith. "who can’t be bothered by reading huge books like the Bible." How else can one understand the religion that they follow? Certainly not by simply reading a comic book on the religion. It is true that certain technological advances have helped spread the word of various faiths, but nothing can compare nor be as reliable than the actual Holy Books; and by having other means such as websites or comic books, should not mean that the holy books be saved for later when a persons faith is more "mature".
    I do agree that at the present time we live in, whether a book is printed or hand written is more of aesthetic interest to most, and simply a passion for a few. I also do not think that there could ever be a time when the physical books did not exist and were completely replaced by, for instance, ebooks. But thats just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "How else can one understand the religion that they follow? Certainly not by simply reading a comic book on the religion."
    Maybe the religion they follow more accurately follows the comic book than the bible. I'm not trying to cast stones, especially with rather sensitive religious subject matter. With so many interpretations of the bible today, so many different directions taken, they couldn't possibly all be loyal to the original text could they? The original text has been lost in translation hundreds of years ago. It could have been lost to the errors of scribes and we would never be the wiser. All people who consider themselves Christian don't necessarily have to follow or even be familiar with the bible. Though they may imagine the bible is the source of all their doctrines, the views of several sects may more closely resemble views expressed on a website or in a comic, and if they do ever get around to the bible, its wisdom might be applied into the views already held. One could say this isn't Christianity, but whatever it is, it 'is'. As these progressive (though often times reactionary) sects grow, is this an exmaple of even religion growing away from THE book?

    More on topic: Jewelianne, I am with you at your conclusion, but have some hypothetical wonders. I see how the once rejection of printed works in favor of the manuscript parallels today's debate between printed books and ebooks. We are afraid of ebooks because they lack the aesthetic values of our books today. We see how our books can become esoteric novelty, and accept that this might be beneficial to society over all, but we still hold on to our books. This is one way to look at the future, but its rather in favor of us. Isn't it possible that the ebook won't catch on. Our focusing on the ebook is narrow sighted and self serving. Might the book die altogether? Probably not. Is the ebook the coming future? I really don't think its progressive enough. It probably won't catch on. Whatever is coming next in the history of written communication, it will probably be pretty different from how we picture things now. That' a gut rant though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What is more fun than perusing a book store, or a library, and stumbling across a book you never would have heard of, and discovering you like it? How exactly do you have a comparable experience on a kindle or google books?"

    To keep things clear, I agree whole-heartedly with you Jewelianne: I'm never so much at peace than when I'm browsing through the used-book section of a newly discovered bookstore. However, to be my own Devil's Advocate, I have to say that I'm truly beginning to appreciate the usefulness of modern technology. Just yesterday, between bouts of homework, I found TWO LISTS of books that I would like to read. I mention the first in my post "What Should I Read Next?" and the second can be found as a link in my Further Adventures sidebar.

    And my point is, especially with the second list - The Myths Series - I might never have known about the books. The only reason that I know such a series exists, is because I was making the most of Web 2.0. I began at the History Channel, where I was watching a newly posted full episode on the Odyssey (which, by the by, was really interesting) and got to thinking about the last time I read Homer's epic. I seemed to recall hearing about a re-conceived version of the story, as told by Penelope. Ten minutes of Googling later and I stumbled across a gold mine of books that I now must read.

    And that's how I answer your question, "How exactly do you have a comparable experience on a kindle or google books?" Well, that's how. Just because I wasn't in a bookstore perusing the displays by hand, chasing down the information online had its own certain thrill. I discovered something new - something to read! And in the end, that's all I really want.

    ...though I still like bookstores better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz-
    I know what you mean. Even when I was writing this blog I was sort of thinking about websites like Goodreads and Amazon, where I have found books (or lists of books) that I probably never would have found at a bookstore or library.
    Usually those books are somehow related to what you're searching for, like how you said the Myths series was in the "what should I read next" link. I guess it's theoretically possible that you could follow enough links to find something completely different from what you're searching for, but it is more random at a bookstore.

    So, I guess I agree with you sort of disagreeing with me, if that makes sense. Both random browsing of libraries and newer technologies have their uses. As much as I love my bookstores, I wouldn't really want to give up Goodreads either.

    Tahreem-
    I hope you are right that physical books are never replaced completely. :)

    Stephen- Your comment was really interesting. I was especially intrigued by the part about something besides eBooks being the next form of written communication. To digress a little bit, I am always curious about new technologies that we cannot even fathom right now. (Like how many people would have thought the concept of the television or the Internet seemed sort of crazy before they were invented, for example? I'm sure I never would have been intelligent enough to foresee such things...) I'm sure you are probably right about written communication too...but I have no idea what that next form will be.

    ReplyDelete