Sunday, November 1, 2009

research project ideas...still very vague. Help!

When I tell people that I am almost finished with my undergraduate degree, they often ask me what I plan to do after graduation. Often I tell them that I am considering library school. This usually gets one of two reactions. “You have to have a master’s degree to be a librarian?” (I frequently agree that this seems sort of surprising.) Or “wow, I didn’t really know that they still had librarians.”

The second reaction is an exaggeration, but only slightly. Frequently at work I hear about the new technologies that are altering not only book history, but libraries. Will there be libraries in a couple of decades? Probably, but it is likely they will be very different from the one’s that exist today. Basically, I was thinking it would be interesting to look at how new technologies are changing libraries, as sort of an extension of how they are changing literacy. I know I have to be more specific than “new technologies,” so I was thinking of looking at one particular technology, perhaps the E-book.

I’m not exactly sure which direction I would go in with such a project. It would be interesting to look at the differences between various types of books. Like is it more likely that academic books would be replaced by newer forms of technology than fiction books that are read for pleasure? Obviously I would need a more concrete angle at which to look at this subject, and…a thesis.

The other idea that I thought might be sort of interesting is not nearly as relevant to this course. It sort of has more to do with sociology than book history, but as I just thought of it this morning, there might still be a way to connect it to the class. I believe it was in the Diebert readings that we learned how the development of silent reading changed mans relationship with himself and the world around him. This was a topic that I found especially interesting, because it was something that had never occurred to me before. My second idea kind of relates to this idea. How have modern technologies such as web 2.0 changed modern people? In class we talked jokingly about how much more self-center people seem to be on their blogs and facebooks, and at times it certainly seems to be true. But is there truth to this? Also I remember reading in a magazine about a year ago that 2007 (or 2008) was the first year that more people reported meeting their significant other online than the old-fashioned way. Certainly this is a large change. Also, we have all seen a group of friends (or been in a group of friends) that go out somewhere, sit at a table, and promptly ignore one another to text message other friends. What the heck does that say about new technologies?
But as on the previous idea, I’m not sure exactly what position I would take in this sort of project.

So basically the point of this blog is to ask you guys what you think of these two ideas? Which idea seems more interesting to you? Which project do you think it would be easier to find credible sources for? Can I even tie the second one to the class closely enough, or do you think I’ll be stretching it? I’ll attempt to figure some of this stuff out myself and update in a few days with my clarifications, but any suggestions would be much appreciated. Incidentally, I will probably be writing a traditional research paper because I don’t have internet access at home, so if you think one works better as a paper than the other let me know that, too.

5 comments:

  1. It's funny how I also thought about the E-book, both in terms of this class and in terms of purchasing one for myself. However, the latter was trashed, I came to the conclusion that I like actual books better!

    I must admit that I too was ignorant about librarians needing a master's degree. I thought it was something you are just trained to do. Thank you for clarifying that! Nonetheless, your ideas are intriguing, but I think the first is more relevant to the class. You may be able to extend the second topic, but it may be a bit exigent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter how open-minded and accepting I try to be of "new technologies," I do not seeing much good coming of them at all, with regards to the way people interact. That is why your second topic idea seems especially interesting to me. For instance, I know that there is basically a divorce for every two marriages these days--I wonder of their is any connection to the fact that more and more people meet "on-line"?

    People say that technology is improved communication--I don't see that. Look at our campus--it is so creepy to be in a lounge full of people, and two-thirds of them are staring at a screen, with head-phones on.

    And your point about sitting at a table with a bunch of people, and half of them are texting other people is just another example of what I consider Orwellian realities that are synonymous with what "new technologies" are doing alienate everyone from each other.

    Yeah, that is pretty bleak. I just call it how I see it though. NOTHING, and I mean, NOTHING, can take the place of beautiful old face to face human interaction. I guess this may not be much help to you, accept to maybe say that I find your second topic idea more interesting. After all, since we are the ones living through this period of transformation (for good or ill) it is hard not to opinionated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you go to Professor Maruca's pageflakes you are sure to find a whole slew of articles on the E-Book. I read one not too long ago about a library that got rid of all of it's books. (A Library without the Books, at The Boston Globe). They replaced 20,000 books with 18 electronic readers.

    18!

    I was outraged when I read this article. The library has become a "learning center" with $500,000 expenditure on flat screen TVs, the 18 readers, and an expresso machine. Now, don't get me wrong, I love coffee, but spending $12,000 on a cappuccino machine is ridiculous. How does that foster learning? All I can see is another blatant attempt to exhort revenue for the school out of its students.

    So, besides that little rant, I think you have a good idea going with the e-book concept. Integrating your interest in Library Studies (I've heard wonders about Wayne's LIS program) you could research how the e-book is changing (harming or benefiting) libraries across the country.

    Really, your possibilities are endless. Do a bit of research on the topic and soon enough you'll find that thesis you need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit that I am partial to the idea of you doing something on "future technologies" like the E-book because I find this topic quite fascinating, which is why this is what I plan on using for my topic. It is a relatively new technology, but there are endless sources out there on this particular subject and this is something that is easy enough to research.

    I think it would also be interesting to view how this technology is going to change the way we view books from here on out and if it is going to change the way we view literacy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Either will be worthwhile; both need to be (as you acknowledge) more focused. Go with the one you are most excited about. You can read around a bit before coming up with your thesis.

    ReplyDelete